Through the support of the family, school and community, our students will acquire citizenship and academic skills to become productive members of society.
School Colors: Blue and Green
School Mascot: Bulldog
School Hours: 7:50 am - 2:30 pm
Office Hours: 7:30 pm - 3:00 pm
School Belief Statements
- George Marks Elementary believes students need to be provided with real world math and science experiences.
- George Marks Elementary believes students need to be provided with quality reading and math instruction to help them become successful lifelong readers.
- George Marks Elementary believes students need to be given meaningful opportunities, across the curriculum, to express themselves effectively in writing.
- George Marks Elementary believes providing students with opportunities to develop leadership skills traits that enhance character development is essential.
- Five Star School Award
- Vocal Music National Champions
- Golden School Award
- SACS Accreditations
- Florida School Recognition Award
The first wing of George W. Marks Elementary School was completed in December of 1954 and opened to students on January 3, 1955. The new school was built as a result of a state survey that indicated the need for an elementary school because of population growth in that area of Deland. The new school was located on the corner of North Garfield Avenue and East Woodmont Road. It was named after George W. Marks who had served as Volusia County Superintendent of Schools from 1924 to 1957. George Marks Elementary was officially given its name in a dedication ceremony that took place on February 22, 1955, the anniversary of the birth date of Mark's namesake, George Washington. To find out more about this school and others in our district, please click on the link below.